Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Room for Jell-O

By Joanne Walker
I’m sure many of  you remember the old television commercial advertising Jell-O—there were large gatherings of people around a dining room table or picnic table having just partaken of a huge meal, and everyone is complaining that they don’t have room for dessert.  But then Susie Homemaker cheerfully assures them that they needn't worry—she has made a Jello mold, and she parades a sparkling, jiggling tower of Jello gelatin and sets it in the middle of the table.  To be honest, I was always pleased when my mother  fixed cherry Jello with bananas for dessert when I was growing up. The point of this writing, however,  is not my room for Jello, but the room that the manufacturers of Jello consume for their product.
Strawberry season has arrived in the Yamhill Valley, and I have taken to making fresh strawberry pie.  The recipe calls for a package of Jell-O Cook & Serve, Sugar Free, Fat Free vanilla pudding mix and a small package of Sugar Free Strawberry Jello.
The local stores have discontinued carrying the Cook & Serve variety of the fat free, sugar-free pudding mix, so I contacted the Jell-O company and was told I could get it  through Amazon.com.  I thought Amazon sold books, but, sure enough, they also sell pudding mix by the 24-package case. I ordered the case shortly before the end of strawberry season last year, so I am pleased to have enough left for the 2012 season.
I had finished slicing the berries into the pie plate, and was preparing to cook the pudding, substituting water for milk, when I was struck by the tiny quantity of pudding mix  that was contained in the large (2 ¾ by 3 ¼ by 1 ¼ inch) cardboard box.  It was like one person was soaking in a 6-person hot tub all by himself. I weighed the envelope containing the mix on my food scale. Envelope and mix weighed .9 oz.  The box itself weighed .4 oz.   The package of sugar free gelatin was even worse.  The envelope plus its contents weighed .4 oz.  So did the cardboard package.  What a waste.  What to do?
Together with Pastor Mark we did something.  We called Judy at Kraft Foods. Judy suggested we write a letter to Kraft Foods.
We’re working on the letter.

1 comment: